Maker Monday: Meet Purse & Clutch
Each Monday I would like to introduce you to the companies and people behind the products for sale here at MADE.
In their own words, I'd like to introduce you to Purse & Clutch:
For the last 5 years we've been an online retail boutique curating high quality, well designed, & ethically made handbags at www.purseandclutch.com. We're passionate about long term partnership with artisans in developing countries who create their products with an emphasis on design & quality. These artisans are treated with respect & are paid a living wage for their region.
Our mission is to help support sustainable, long-term employment for men & women with limited opportunities by connections to international markets.
We're committed to take the guess work out of whether or not an item is made responsibly. Both of the artisan groups we work with abide by at the very least the following ethical principles:
- There is no forced labor or child labor
- Artisans are paid a living wage for their region & work in a positive environment
- We have a long term relationship of sustainable work with our artisan groups
- Our artisan groups are conscious of their social, economic, & environmental impact on their country & ours
- We do not maximize profits at our artisan's expense & eliminate the middlemen in our supply chains whenever possible
- We have a strict nondiscrimination policy based on gender, race, caste, political affiliation or age
We use as many handmade processes as possible to be able to help sustain as many jobs as possible. This means from hand carded & botanically hand dyed thread using the traditional Mayan techniques all the way to the stitching together to create the final product + the handmade tassel details!